- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 oz can chicken breast, drained
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
- 1 can (16 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) corn kernels
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 cups coarsely baked tortilla chips
- Heat oil in the saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add garlic and chili powder and sauté about 30 seconds before adding chicken.
- Let sauté for about 3 minutes until flavors all combine.
- Stir in chicken broth and stewed tomatoes with juices.
- Using stirring spoon, gently break up tomatoes in the saucepan.
- Heat to boiling over high heat.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce heat to low.
- Stir in corn and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, halve, seed and peel the avocado.
- Cut the avocado into slices or small cubes.
- Place the tortilla chips in a plastic food storage bag.
- Close the bag and tap it gently with the palm of your hand to crush the chips.
- Ladle soup in individual bowls and garnish with avocado and crushed tortilla chips.
Kids Can: Help measure out ingredients, help open cans using can opener (older children), use plastic knife to cut avocado into slices/cubes, crush chips for topping and garnish serving bowls.
Change it up: Use leftover chicken, ground beef or turkey for a different taste (and to help use leftovers!). Add a can of pinto beans or black beans for a fiber boost. You can even make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth and beans as the protein instead of meat.