- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded (reduced fat optional)
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons evaporated milk, skim
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese, margarine, flour, salt, and red pepper and mix until ingredients resemble coarse crumbs.
- Add the evaporated milk and stir until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, using a rolling pin, roll the dough into an 8 x10 inch rectangle that is 1/8 inch thick.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into long, thick strips, ¼ to 1/3 inch wide (dipping the knife in flour after every few inches ensures a c
- Gently transfer the strips to an ungreased baking sheet. The straws can be any length.
- Bake the straws for 12-15 minutes, or until ends are starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and cool. Serve at room temperature. Keep straws refrigerated in a sealed container.
Kids Can: help measure ingredients (except for red pepper flakes!), stir ingredients together, help roll out dough with rolling pin, and transfer straws to baking sheet.
Change it up: Consider adding less red pepper flakes if you’re making this for children. Some like it hot, some not.
MOMs Comments: “Amazing with tomato soup!”