- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup milk, low fat
- 2 teaspoons applesauce
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup cooked sweet potato, mashed (Option: Canned sweet potatoes.) See below for how to cook a sweet potato.
- Cooking spray
- Mix flours, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, applesauce, eggs and sweet potato.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Preheat an electric griddle to 350 degree F (or put a skillet on medium-high heat) and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour ¼ cup of the batter on the griddle. Cook until bubbly, about 1-2 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown.
Kids Can: help measure out ingredients and stir ingredients together to combine.
Tip: Sweet potatoes are easy to “zap” in the microwave. Wash and poke holes in the sweet potato with a fork. Cover with a paper towel and microwave on high for about 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of the potato. It will be soft when done.